Re: gnome-volume-manager mount options for removable devices

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 12:08:38 +0200, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
>When not adding mount options to /etc/fstab for my removable devices,
>once plugged they get mounted properly under /media, but unfortunately
>they don't get mounted with the sync option and it's a must when trying
>to put images and music to my mobile phone.

I'm assuming you want this because the desktop icon disappears before
the device is properly unmounted (synced).  That is a well-known bug:

I believe this has been fixed upstream though, so as soon as 2.16 hits
Sid I'm expecting to not have the problem anymore.  If you're running
stable you'd probably have to wait a little longer though.

>I know I can add an entry to /etc/fstab overriding gnome-volume-manager
>options. Unfortunately the mobile phone sometimes it's located at
>/dev/sde1, sometimes at /dev/sdf1, and even sometimes at /etc/sda1.
>Putting options for all those files in /etc/fstab pointing to the same
>mount point would probably work, but would definitely be an ugly
>solution.

What you can do is tell udev to always create a link to a specific
device based on device specific information.  I think the following
might be of use:

 http://therning.org/magnus/archives/9

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

It's important for a corporate leader to know the difference between
what is actually illegal, and what people assume should be illegal.
     -- Bill Gates, in interview for The Register, 19th June 2006