Re: can't install anything from testing

On 10/04/2006 04:53 PM, Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 23:12:24 +0200, Andreas Berglund wrote:

[...]

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 07:39:34PM +0200, Andreas Berglund wrote:

Hi!
I recently reinstalled debian stable on my box, but I would like to run some packages from testing. But after the reinstall I can't install anything from the testing repository, I get messages of dependencies that can't be met for everything. I have searched google and the man pages for apt-* and dpkg for a clue but I havent found anything. Does anyone now what's going on on or where I should look for a solution?

[...]

This is my /etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: -1
                ^^

$ man apt_preferences 2>/dev/null | grep -A 1 'P < 0'
       P < 0
          prevents the version from being installed

Hmm, interesting. I've often wanted to be able to use aptitude to see what is available to users of testing and unstable--but without having any possibility of converting my system into testing or unstable.

This seems to suggest that I can use that syntax to allow me to put testing in my sources.list without any risk of being able to install anything from testing.

Is that correct?

--
paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net