Re: Postfix configuration (mail to root)

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 22:42:59 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 20:36:34 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> [..]
>> >You can do this with rewriting. I just set this up today so its fresh
>> >:)
>> >
>> >/etc/postfix/main.cf:
>> >
>> >	smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
>> >
>> >then create /etc/postfix/generic with something like this:
>> >
>> >	user@my.local.host	account@my.remote.host
>> >
>> >and run 'postmap /etc/postfix/generic
>> >
>> >Now if the mail is for root@my.local.host it will be delivered
>> >according to your aliases file. Mail for user@some.internet.host will
>> >be sent to respective address with rewriten From:
>>
>> I can't seem to make it do what I want it to, which would be the exact
>> opposite of what you're doing.  My problem was that
>>
>>  % /usr/lib/sendmail root << EOF
>>  Subject: test
>>
>>  Test
>>  EOF
>>
>> Would result in a mail being sent to root@my.remote.host.  What I wanted
>> was a locally delivered email (according to the /etc/aliases file).
>>
>> After some research I added the following to my /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>>
>>  mydestination = $myhostname, localhost
>>
>> That resulted in local delivery for mail sent to root@localhost and
>> root@my.local.host (and /etc/aliases is used for that :-).
>
>I don't understand how is that different than your original config, but
>if it works ... :)

At first root@localhost didn't work, now it does.  That's a difference.

Mail sent to root by cron is still delivered to my.remote.host so the
difference is of little use.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

$my_args = shift;
system("gcc $my_args");
print "I prefer C\n";
     -- Robert Dieterich's contribution to the 2004 Perl Haiku Contest,
        Haikus in Perl - 'Dishonerable Mention' winner