Re: Debian Proxy Server

Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> It has web caching builtin --
>>> http://www.ipcop.org/1.4.0/en/admin/html/services.html#services_webproxy
>>>
>>> Filtering is accomplished by easy to install addons that include Dan's
>>> Guardian or urlfilter.  Advanced Proxy is also available as an addon and
>>>  gives more caching control, and advanced options like ldap
>>> authentication, all done through an easy to use html interface (although
>>> installing the addons requires following a few simple steps through
>>> ssh).  Here is a site that has many, many addons for IPCop, including
>>> Cop+ which includes Dan's Guardian...
>>> http://firewalladdons.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> IMHO, it's a lot simpler to set up for someone new to linux, but there
>>> may be exceptions.
>
> Good to know.  OP is pretty insistent that he only wants caching &
> filtering.  Since IPcop is the Linux *Firewall* Distribution, will
> it try to force itself into also being firewall, gateway, etc?
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA  USA
>
> Is "common sense" really valid?
> For example, it is "common sense" to white-power racists that
> whites are superior to blacks, and that those with brown skins
> are mud people.
> However, that "common sense" is obviously wrong.

I guess I misread the part of the OP about the firewall/router, for some reason,
I thought they were going to replace that, also.  I'm pretty sure IPCop wouldn't
mind not being the gateway, but it might not be quite as good a choice as I was
thinking.  I see where you're coming from, now ;)
- --

Monday Sep 18, 2006