Xorg packages vs Nvidia's driver? (RESEND)

>Which packages might be removed or pinned so that upgrades will not
>necessitate
>reinstallation of Nvidia's (their installer) driver? libGLcore.so (symlink)?
>etc.

This problem persists in Sid. Almost anything Xorg or OpenGL that gets updated
necessitates reinstalling the Nvidia stuff, both kernel module and other
stuff. No so bad a trip but ....

Seems to me that the Nvidia stuff should not go to /usr or /usr/lib
or /usr/X11R6 .../modules where Xorg stuff normally goes. Should have its own
directories and these specified in xorg.conf. Actually, their installer
tries, cites a "modular" Xorg installation and requests an "sdk". Failing
that, it places things in the "standard" directories.

The installer has an --x-prefix option which they recommend only under "rare
circumstances". There are --x-module-path (defaults to ...xorg/modules now)
and --x-library-path (defaults to --x-prefix/lib) as well

Anyone use these to straighten this out? Which options?
The debian package of the Nvidia driver DRI did not work when I tried that?
Where does this now place its items?