Re: Fwd: Bash script to run OpenJUMP on Linux...

Hi Scott

Sorry for the late reply, I don't find time to read -user very often.

On Thursday 21 September 2006 06:07, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I've recently installed the Java 1.5 packages for Debian. I'm trying
> to create a simple bash script that will launch a java program. (There
> isn't a Debian package for this program, but I hope to create one if I
> can get it runnging.)  I'm
> trying to launch the program, but I'm running into some trouble.
>
> I think I've tracked my problem down to a compatability problem with
> my installed JVM and the program I'd like to run. I read that you
> should be albe to run Java programs compiled for Java 1.4 on a Java
> 1.5 JRE, but perhaps that doesn't work with Debian?
>
> There may be another reason why my script isn't working. I have
> attached the script and the error message it generates. If anyone is
> familiar with this problem and can take a look at the script I'd
> appreciate it. (The script is short.) :]
>
> I can add a section to the Debian wiki explaining how to launch a Java
> program on Debian if I can figure this out.
>
> Scott Huey

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:

That error means that the class format version isn't supported.  It's
normally caused by compiling with java 1.5, and running with 1.4 or earlier

If you need to build on 1.5 and run on earlier, pass -target <version> to
sun's javac.

Looking at test_run_jump.sh, I think what's happening is that the your java
alternative isn't pointing
to /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0_07/jre/bin/java.  So either rebuild
the source for java 1.4, or try

    echo "Liftoff..."
    $JAVA_HOME/java ...

Also consider changing JAVA_HOME to /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/bin/
which won't be so brittle.

HTH
Andrew V.