Re: bash command timer

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 05:19:47PM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

On 09/25/06 13:54, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a way to time scripts, how long they take to execute.

That has appeared in the list before, but now I can't find it.

I could write it myself, but I bet it exists already.
Are you referring to time(1)?

 $ time ./testmem
 Out of memory at 2802 M

 real    0m0.020s
 user    0m0.002s
 sys     0m0.017s

Aha! I am and it is a package that I did not have installed ;-)

Just remember that if you run time without a patch qualification, you
get the shell's builtin time function.  If you want to use the time
binary, then be sure to specify /usr/bin/time.

Regards,

-Roberto

I ran right into this when I did not specify /usr/bin/time.
However... I do not think time is what I want. What I want is a chronometer function that works just like one: you click and it shows 0:00, click and it starts running, click and it shows how far it got...

I wrote a command to do that and keep the elapsed time in a environment variable, but "setenv("CHRONO", msecs.data(), 1));" does not set the variable "$CHRONO", so I have to rethink.