Re: Set up samba

rocky wrote:
> Clive Menzies wrote:

> > > http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Installing_Samba_Linux/Windows_networking
> > > may get you started.
> >
> > I put up some info on this a while back which may help:
> > http://clivemenzies.co.uk/help/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=33&Itemid=58
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Clive
> >
> > --
> > www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...
> > ...strategies for business
> >

> > --
>
> Hey,
>
> I did the following configuration in smb.conf of my debian machine
>
> #-------------snap begin------------------#
>  [globals]
> security = share
>
> [user1-docs]
> comment = User1's Documents
> path = /home/user1/Documents
> read only = No
> guest ok = Yes
> force user = user1
> map archive = no
> #--------------------snap end---------------#
>
> I know this is insesure. but we are in a small office like a family. I
> can use IE to access my debian machine by entering
> \\mypcname\user1-docs
>
> The problem is I want to get access to my Windows XP file server's
> E:/backup folder. When I switch my machine to Windows system I can
> access XP server's backup folder by entering \\server\backup in IE's
> address bar. But  this is not the case in debian system. In Debian
> system's Mozilla if I enter \\server\backup in address bar it tells me
> "http:\\server could not found".
>
> Can any of you tell me how to use Debian system access to window XPs
> share files in my LAN please?
>
> Thanks,
> Rocky
>

> --

Further to my previous post.

I enabled swap in /etc/inetd.conf and I can go to localhost:901 as
well. The problem is I still not be able to access to Windows file
server share folder. Do I need to configure Windows XP instead? Because
smbclient -L win-notebook tells me "Connection to win-notebook failed".

Thanks,
Rocky