Re: Set up samba

Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (26/09/06 09:11), Chris Lale wrote:
> > rocky wrote:
> > >[...]
> > >
> > >Is there a way I can set up my Debian machine or Windows server to
> > >enalbe me exchage data betwen Windows server and my PC using Debian
> > >system?
> > >
> > >[...]
> > http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Installing_Samba_Linux/Windows_networking
> > may get you started.
>
> I put up some info on this a while back which may help:
> http://clivemenzies.co.uk/help/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=33&Itemid=58
>
> Regards
>
> Clive
>
> --
> www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...
> ...strategies for business
>

> --

Hey,

I did the following configuration in smb.conf of my debian machine

#-------------snap begin------------------#
 [globals]
security = share

[user1-docs]
comment = User1's Documents
path = /home/user1/Documents
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
force user = user1
map archive = no
#--------------------snap end---------------#

I know this is insesure. but we are in a small office like a family. I
can use IE to access my debian machine by entering
\\mypcname\user1-docs

The problem is I want to get access to my Windows XP file server's
E:/backup folder. When I switch my machine to Windows system I can
access XP server's backup folder by entering \\server\backup in IE's
address bar. But  this is not the case in debian system. In Debian
system's Mozilla if I enter \\server\backup in address bar it tells me
"http:\\server could not found".

Can any of you tell me how to use Debian system access to window XPs
share files in my LAN please?

Thanks,
Rocky