Re: Problems installing Netbeans...

Redefined Horizons wrote:

I develop Java programs on Debian, and I thought I'd try getting
Netbeans installed. (I'm currently using Eclipse.) I know there isn't
a Debian package for Netbeans yet, so I thought that I would try
installing directly from the .bin file provided for Linux at the
Netbeans site.

The instructions say that Java 1.4 is required for the installer to
work. I have installed the 1.4 JDK using the Blackdown packages.
However, I can't seem to get the installer to find the JDK
installation. Here is the command I use to execute the installer:

Did you know that any JDK above 1.4 will work? (When they say 1.4, they probably mean that 1.4 is the oldest JDK that can be used). Here's an excerpt from their release notes (http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/50/relnotes.html#system_requirements):

[excerpt]
Required Software

NetBeans IDE runs on the J2SE JDK 5.0 (JavaTM 2 JDK, Standard Edition), which consists of the Java Runtime Environment plus developer tools for compiling, debugging, and running applications written in the JavaTM language. NetBeans IDE 5.0 also runs on J2SE SDK version 1.4.2, but it has only been tested on JDK 5.0.
[/excerpt]

Why not just use the latest JDK? On my system netbeans works fine with JDK 5.0 packages from sid. (I'm running sid now, but the JDK packages from sid installed fine when I ran etch).

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque