Re: kernel mess

On 9/26/06, Bruno Buys <bruno.grupos@gmail.com> wrote:
On 9/26/06, Wackojacko <wackojacko32@ntlworld.com > wrote:
George Borisov wrote:
> Bruno Buys wrote:
>
>>I then installed two more kernels to play with:
>>the 2.6.8-12-amd64-generic and the 2.6.8-12-amd64-k8. Both boot and run
>>ok, but I failed to install nVidia drivers for these two
>

> Do those binary drivers even support running under a 64bit OS? I
> think I remember reading somewhere that they don't.
>
> I could be wrong on this one.
>

> Hope this helps,

I run nvidia graphics drivers on my AMD64 3200+, in both 64 bit and 32
bit sid, so they definitely work.

Here's what I do.

~apt-get install module-assistant nvidia-kernel-source
~m-a prepare (sudo or root)
~m-a a-i nvidia (sudo or root)
~dpkg -i /usr/src/nvidia-kernel-moduleXXXXX.deb (sudo or root)
~apt-get install nvidia-glx (sudo or root)

Restart X.

You may need the -legacy source and glx packages for older hardware.

HTH

Wackojacko

NB I use a custom compiled Kernel, but it shouldn't make any difference.