Re: debian forum

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 10:33:25AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 07:18:32PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 09:38:50AM +1000, Julian De Marchi wrote:
> > > The purpose of the forum was not to ake over the mailing list, but assist
> > > is more in-depth problems and a way of people to find common issues,
> > > instead of using the maillist to ask for problems which have already been
> > > addressesed. Is'nt it funny that, when the topic is first mentioned, not
> > > many people have anything to say. But when someone does something,
> > > everyone has their two cents to add in.
> > >
> > > I am NOT trying to take over any of the other forums. Sorry if it seemed
> > > that way. I wish to create a place for people to talk about more in depth
> > > problems, where the answers can be archived and retrived by all. Forums
> > > will never beat mailling lists!
> > >
> > > I am aware that there are other forums out there. I am just trying to give
> > > back to the Debian community, as I have been giving so much.
> > >
> > > Please appreciate my efforts, and instead of trying to tell me it is
> > > wrong, give useful suggestions.
> >
> > A major difficulty with this suggestion is, IMHO, the question of
> > expert resources, that is to say the time of people whose answers to
> > questions are actually useful. These people seem not to be interested
> > in yet another forum/list/whatever that they feel obliged to
> > watch. (At least this is the impression I get from the responses that
> > I have seen to other, prior suggestions of this general sort.) I think
> > the 'good answer people' are a scarce resource that should be handled
> > carefully. Personnally, I fail to see how this proposal would use this
> > scarce resource more effectively, so I am fearful about giving it a
> > try. What happens if the 'good answer people' stop paying attention
> > and stop noticing to pleas for help? Not good.
>
> Maybe a project to index the mailing list the way dmoz indexes the web?

Indices are useful (thanks for pointing out this one, I had not heard
of it.)  But they lack the authority of a signed answer by a know
expert. And, if the suggested solution doesn't work for you, you are
likely to get real help in understanding your problem.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net