Re: need a newsreader with decent filtering

Arthur Marsh wrote:

> At present, I'm trying knode but still seem unable to filter based on the
> fact that news.gmane.org marks detected spam as cross-posted to
> gmane.spam.detected (one cannot subscribe to gmane.spam.detected directly,
> so one can't automatically mark gmane.spam.detected as read).
>
> Any suggestions on getting knode to work nicely or an alternative
> news-reader with good filtering properties?

Well, I'll repost what I posted to the kde-users group:

The secret is that in the Scoring Rules editor, you can enter whatever field
you want in the Conditions.  So for me, I entered this:

Name: GMANE Detected Spam
Groups: .* (I actually left this empty, but KNode put the .* in all by
itself!)

Conditions:
(x) Match all conditions  ( ) Match any conditions
( ) Not  (Newsgroups) (Contains Substring)
(gmane.spam.detected)

Actions:
(Adjust Score) (-100)

Notice that in the Conditions, I entered "Newsgroups", even though that's
not one of the six choices in the drop-down list.

After doing that, you may have to select all the messages in a newsgroup and
run Recalculate Scores, but I think it should apply to all new messages.

There is some spam that doesn't get detected by GMANE, especially ones whose
spam content is just an image, but this catches everything that GMANE
catches.

(I just upgraded to KNode=4:3.5.4-1 tonight, and I'm not sure if you could
enter a custom field in earlier versions.  If so...duh.  If not, yay, they
finally added it!)