Re: 2 e1000 interfaces not working together

udo waechter wrote:

> As long as I ifup one of the two interfaces everything is fine. Not
> everything though, since both IP Adresses are reachable. there is no
> other computer having one of the two IPs, since none of them are
> reachable as soon as I ifdown the interface. This is the first strange
> thing.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

> The second strange thing is, that the computer can not communicate with
> the network as soon as both interfaces are ifup'd
> Both IP-Adresses are from the same subnet, have the same subnetmask and
> the same gatewway.

This is not a good idea. By having 2 different interfaces on the
same subnet you are creating 2 different routes to this subnet.
You should definitely only have one default gateway (unless you
are doing split-routing, or something).

However, I am surprised that they both break, as I would have
expected one of them to continue working.

If you must have both interfaces on the same subnet then I would
look into bonding (using the "ifenslave" package), or bridging
(using the "bridge-utils" package). Your choice would depend on
what your objective is.

Hope this helps,

--
George Borisov