Re: debian forum

"Because a forum cannot be accessed via ssh over a crappy dial up
connection?  Believe it or not, many people here are on poor quality,
or intermittent or metered connections.  They would rather read and
reply to mail than downloading images and other nonsense.  Besides, some
folks access their personal mail from work via ssh and mutt (or pine or
some other TUI MUA).  If one works in a place where things like forums
are filtered out, then they would not be able to participate as much.

Regards,

-Roberto"

true and the netinstall of debian don't coming with ppp for dialup connecion
something dont make sense......

On 9/24/06, Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 09:05:22AM -0700, Raquel wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:45:20 -0500
> Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 05:34:35PM -0700, Raquel wrote:
> > > I would say that if you want to do it, then you should.  And
> > > then advertise it like crazy.  There will be so many "nay
> > > sayers" here that you'll become discourage very quickly.  Some
> > > people don't like change and will fight with all their strength
> > > against something different.
> >
> > *sigh*  Why must people who disagree with your preference
> > automatically "not like change"?
>
> I only said that "some people" don't like change.  Why do you
> purposely lump everyone who doesn't want a forum into that category?

In the context in which you referred to "some people", it is common for
the phrase to mean "the people I was just talking about" (i.e., those
who don't like forums) as a group, rather than a subset of that group.

>  It seems you're trying to light a fire.

While I was aware that my post might have that effect, that was not
my intent.  I read your initial post as an accusation that those who
don't like forums are only/primarily against them because they "don't
like change".  As one who sees little to no value in forums over mailing
lists, I found this to be an unfair characterization and felt the need
to refute it.  My apologies for apparently misreading your intent.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that