Re: debian forum

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 05:34:35PM -0700, Raquel wrote:
> I would say that if you want to do it, then you should.  And then
> advertise it like crazy.  There will be so many "nay sayers" here
> that you'll become discourage very quickly.  Some people don't like
> change and will fight with all their strength against something
> different.

*sigh*  Why must people who disagree with your preference automatically
"not like change"?

Roberto C. Sanchez has already given examples of situations in which
people would be able to access and use a mailing list, but not a web
forum.  I find that mailing lists also work much better for me than web
forums for a variety of reasons - having the posts come to me instead
of having to go out and fetch them is more convenient; I can easily
killfile threads which don't interest me instead of having to load page
after page of every active discussion and mentally filter them out; it's
faster to grab just the text without all the extraneous graphics and
"ooh! look! I've made 2,456,734 posts!" nonsense; and I'm sure there
are other advantages which don't spring to mind at the moment.

So, what are the advantages of changing to a web forum which are so
compelling that not wanting to give up the advantages of mail looks like
fear of change?  The only genuine advantage to web forums that I can
think of is access to the history of a discussion, but the Debian lists
are archived, so their history is available as well.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that