Re: start up problems

Before a guru jumps in with the right answer, maybe I can at least
point you in the right direction. See below.

Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> wrote:

> Hello. I use Etch, and occasionally run into some start up problems. > As it's booting, it will read something like this: > > PPDEV: user-space parallel port driver

Do you need the parallel port? If not, you could blacklist the relevant
module

No, I don't need the parallel port; so, this is probably a good idea. I'm not sure how to do this, though.

> DROPPED IN= OUT=PPRO PREC= MAC= SRC=123 456 789  ...

This looks like a message from the firewall. Did you activate it? What
frontend (shorewall, firestarter, ...)?

Yes, I did activate it. It's Guarddog that I'm using. Occasionally errors are reported with the firewall when it starts, too.

> And it just continues like this. Eventually it will load, but it won't > connect to my adsl, and everything runs very slowly. Rebooting > sometimes helps, and unplugging, and then replugging my adsl modem also > helps in re-establishing the connection. It usually occurs after > loading this ppdev parallel port driver. > > Is there something I can do about this? Am I missing a library, or > package, or something that will prevent this? Sometimes it boots up > fine, and I don't have to worry about it. But more often then not I > have to reboot it (sometimes reboot numerous times) before it loads > correctly. > > Mark

You should specify the type of ADSL, how did you configure it, when did
these problems start to appear (new package/hardware/application?), ...
Googleing for the error messages also works most of the time.

Ever since I got Etch going, I've been having these problems. I configured the ADSL with pppoeconf. I've not been able to use etherconf, for some reason. I'm not sure what type of ADSL it is. It's a phone line, if that's what you mean. I was unable to use netinstall, because the connection is only recognized after running pppoeconf (this was true with Sarge, and it's true with all LiveCDs, ie, Knoppix or Ubuntu, as well).

Regards,
Andrei

Thanks for your response,
Mark