Re: SATA Drives and 2.6.x (WAS: Re: 2.6.16-2-686 not booting: Waiting for root filesystem)

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, Marc Shapiro wrote:

So, SATA drives will 'just work' with a 2.6.x kernel?

I'm running SATA (1) on:
	* ASUS av7600 (non-native)
	* Intel 945/ICH7 (native)
	* Intel other (powered off at the moment)

In general, things just work... you may have to tell your bios to enable
the SATA channel, and likely tell it to run SATA native (or you get IDE
emulation).

The Debian 2.6 kernels work pretty damn well, except for very new
hardware !  My Thinkpad T60 is not at all stable with Linux, even with
a tailored kernel (but does run fine under Windows) :(
--
Rick Nelson
"By golly, I'm beginning to think Linux really *is* the best thing since