Re: mkdir on dvd+rw

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 11:53:18AM -0700, Fred J. wrote:
> Hi
>
> using debian/testing 2.6.15
> cannot I use a dvd+rw as a hard drive? I mean, to
> make directories,
> move files around,
> change content of a file,
> ...?
>
> I just copied "or should I say burned" some files using
> growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom1 -R -J /some/files
>
> how can I place them in a directory on the dvd+rw media?

Hi Fred,
this is what I understand:
1) locate some files are your computer (F)
2) copy these files to a pre-determined place (move F to P)
3) use a command to make an ISO image using this pre-determined place as
the location for the files you want to burn
(mkisofs with P to produce my.iso)
4) use a command to burn this ISO image file on a cd or dvd disk
(burn my.iso to /dev/dvd)
Thus you can not simply 'make a directory' on a dvd.
cheers,
Kev
ps. there is a way to 'graft' files on, but that is more complicated