Re: mkdir on dvd+rw

Kevin Mark wrote:
On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 11:53:18AM -0700, Fred J. wrote:
Hi

using debian/testing 2.6.15
cannot I use a dvd+rw as a hard drive? I mean, to
make directories,
move files around,
change content of a file,
...?

I just copied "or should I say burned" some files using
growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom1 -R -J /some/files

how can I place them in a directory on the dvd+rw media?

Hi Fred,
this is what I understand:
1) locate some files are your computer (F)
2) copy these files to a pre-determined place (move F to P)
3) use a command to make an ISO image using this pre-determined place as
the location for the files you want to burn (mkisofs with P to produce my.iso) 4) use a command to burn this ISO image file on a cd or dvd disk (burn my.iso to /dev/dvd)
Thus you can not simply 'make a directory' on a dvd.
cheers,
Kev
ps. there is a way to 'graft' files on, but that is more complicated

If your dvd drive supports them try using DVD-Ram disks as these can be used just like a HDD. Of course it depends on what you what to do with the files, if you want to share them this may not be possible, but back ups are OK.

HTH

Wackojacko