Re: number of machines running Debian?

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 04:57:14PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Somebody estimated Ubuntu to be installed in over 6 million machines*.
> Are there any estimates for Debian?
>
> * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue13
Hi Tshepang,
one of the issues with tracking FLOSS machines is that most folks dont
install it from a box bought in a store, so there are only very small
numbers reflected in those purchases. Most folks are counted in less
solid ways.  Also, most distros dont install software like Debian
popconf to report back. I suspect that maybe Ubuntu is using popconf in
all their distros to help backup their numbers. With Debian being
targeted to no specific user, most folks who use it in big installations
like server farms or grids, do not install popconf and thus popconf
would miss out on several thousands of 'users'. And popconf is not
installed by default. And also, enbedded folks do not install popconf,
and Debian is being used in that space quite a bit also. Imagine if
Debian was installed on even 1% of cell phone or Tivos, thats a big
number.
cheers,
Kev