Re: Linux Will Get Buried (Off)

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 11:24, K. Richard Pixley wrote:

> The linux market hasn't really ever competed in those markets.  There
> aren't any serious photography apps, video editing apps, etc.  What will
> hurt linux in the market place is DRM.  I can play dvd's on my mac.  I
> can't on most out-of-the-box linux distributions.

What's so wrong with boycotting movies that get released in a
freedom-inhibiting manner?  You have to infringing on fair use expensive, and
by far the worst way to do that is buy the movie, shrug and say "What are you
going to do?"

DVD makers don't hear "DRM sucks donkey balls for bus money then walks home"
when you give them money, they hear, "I hate freedom!  Sell me more movies
that can't be watched in any player, that I can't readily make a backup copy
of, or is on media deliberately designed to destroy itself after only a
handful of uses!  And make it an absolute nightmare to buy foreign movies
while travelling internationally that will play when I get home!  I love
being dictated to when it comes to what I can, and on which devices, I can
watch and listen to media!"

--
Paul Johnson