Re: Linux Will Get Buried (Off)

Mike McCarty wrote:

Richard wrote:

Here is a nice article I just got done reading and replying to:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/08/29/36OPcurve_1.html

Make sure you click the TALK BACK to us link, and tell Tom what
you really think of his article...

Hmm. I think he may be right. If Apple is going to start shipping
machines with UNIX pre-installed, and with a nice support package
to go with it, and make it "user friendly", then it might overtake
Linux.

Apple has been shipping factory installed "UNIX" for 6 years now. It hasn't made much difference. Apple essentially sells to a different market than linux does. The apple market is pretty much a vertical market for running a few key applications and for artistic home use.

The linux market hasn't really ever competed in those markets. There aren't any serious photography apps, video editing apps, etc. What will hurt linux in the market place is DRM. I can play dvd's on my mac. I can't on most out-of-the-box linux distributions.

--rich (owner of both macs and linux boxen).