Re: Linux Will Get Buried (Off)

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 11:14, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > Here is a nice article I just got done reading and replying to:
> >
> > http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/08/29/36OPcurve_1.html
> >
> > Make sure you click the TALK BACK to us link, and tell Tom what
> > you really think of his article...
>
> Hmm. I think he may be right. If Apple is going to start shipping
> machines with UNIX pre-installed, and with a nice support package
> to go with it, and make it "user friendly", then it might overtake
> Linux.

But Apple already does sell machines with UNIX pre-installed.  And thanks to
that, Apple now controls a whopping 6% of the desktop market now, as opposed
to Linux's 13%.

As far as I can tell, the reason MacOS X is marginalized and Linux is
succeeding is because people can choose between a nice UNIX and hardware and
spend about 1.5 times as much as they would have otherwise spent on a PC of
similar performance.

If Dell or HP really wanted to tell Microsoft where to stick it and throw the
same kind of level of Aunt Tillie support at Linux that Apple provides MacOS
X, I imagine MacOS and Windows would both lose on price alone.  Joe Sixpack
looks at "If I need help, can I harass some guy who is strapped to a desk
with a phone?" and "How much is this going to cost me?"  Of course, those
questions aren't always asked in that order or necessarily that wording...

--
Paul Johnson