Re: Installing from source a la Gentoo / BSD

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 10:23:44AM +0200, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> * Rickardo Branco <goabranco@yahoo.com> [060911 08:34]:
> > I'm a FreeBSD/NetBSD user wanting to run Linux using
> > the same sources that I'm using on these two systems.
> > I discarded Gentoo for being so unstable.
> >
> > Is it possible to use the tarballs I have for running
> > Debian ?
> > Thanks in advance anyone.
>
> Well, theoretically:  Yes.  Practically:  No.
>
> Debian is mostly used as a binary distribution offering precompiled
> binaries to be installed; while you could use tools like apt-build and
> pbuilder and use your already available sources there, you won't gain
> much (and you need to download stuff (.dsc and diff.gz files make a
> debian source package complete) from debian mirrors anyway.

Hi *,
as Alex says, Debian 99% binary, and 1% other (tar ball, rebuilt, etc.)
There is also 'checkinstall' for such things. There also exists the
'equivs' package to have your non-.deb package 'register' in the Debian
package database. Some folks like processor-specific packages becuase of
a percieved speed difference. Debian has a few of these in what might be
core places: kernel packages and in the un-offical mplayer packages.

Also, if you create debian source package from your sources, you can
create your own debian packages that can then be used on any other
system.
cheers,
Kev
Ps.
Debian has non-linux ports based on BSD!! check them out but they are
not 'offical' yet.