Re: Installing from source a la Gentoo / BSD

Hi!

* Rickardo Branco <goabranco@yahoo.com> [060911 08:34]:
> I'm a FreeBSD/NetBSD user wanting to run Linux using
> the same sources that I'm using on these two systems.
> I discarded Gentoo for being so unstable.
>
> Is it possible to use the tarballs I have for running
> Debian ?
> Thanks in advance anyone.

Well, theoretically:  Yes.  Practically:  No.

Debian is mostly used as a binary distribution offering precompiled
binaries to be installed; while you could use tools like apt-build and
pbuilder and use your already available sources there, you won't gain
much (and you need to download stuff (.dsc and diff.gz files make a
debian source package complete) from debian mirrors anyway.

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander

--
http://learn.to/quote/