Disabling some services indivually and easily (nut)

Hi,

I have the following issue:

   if the cable to the UPS is removed, nut will shutdown the server.

This is perfectly correct, when the UPS is supposed to be there. But
when it has failed and is not in house ?

First, I thought that nut could consider the system boot as a special
case, and if the cable/UPS is not present, just quit gracefully,
possibly with a warning mail. However, this could be dangerous in some
environments.  Thus the comportment of nut always shutting down when
configurer is correct.

So, another idea came to me, which was to use run-levels (e.g. normal
with nut as init 2, and without nut as init 3. Selection done easily
through a LILO menu). However this adds a lot of complexity, and this is
not wanted.

So, what about a kernel option `disable-services=nut,apache,whatever'
which would be processed by Debian init script and disable the named
services ?

What do you think ?

thank you for any idea!