Re: Issues upgrading cpu

On 9/6/06, Albert Dengg <a_d@gmx.at> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:51:48AM -0300, Bruno Buys wrote:
> I upgraded my cpu to a sempron with 64bit extension (Sempron 3400+ for
> 754, to be precise). After some googling and reading, I still can't
> figure those out:
>
> - Why do some instruction flags don't appear at /proc/cpuinfo? sse3 and
> x86-64, specifically. Do they have different names? (output follows).
> According to a tom's hw chart, there's no such thing as a sempron 3400
> for 754 platform without sse3 and x86-64.
>
> bruno@frank:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 44
> model name      : AMD Hammer Family processor - Model Unknown
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 2043.189
> cache size      : 256 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm
> 3dnowext 3dnow pni
> bogomips        : 4038.65
>
> The machine now runs a 64bit sarge netinstaller (which it didn't
> before), so I know the 64bit instructions are there. Is the complete
> 64bit reinstall worth the hassle?
just guessing...
what kernel are you using?

kernel is 2.6.8-2-k7 stock sarge.

i havent tried though i doubt that a normal 686 or k7 kernel supports
either of these extentions and therefore will not test for them...

what does it say when you start the amd64 installer and open a console?

I didn´t try that. Will try as soon as I get back home.
thanks for the tips, albert. I´ll try some livecd´s as well.
One clue: mplayer´s ./configure told me arch is 'k8', instead of 'k7'.
By the way, here´s the processor: http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=SDA3400AIO3BX

yours,

bruno

yours