sound q: is this possible?

Hi,

I record streaming mp3 music with mplayer.

I use snd to edit the .wav file.

Then I convert it with sox to the right frequency and use lame to cut an mp3 file.

For the last few recordings I notice that the sound volume varies during the recording so I have to be lowering or raising the sound volume all the time: it is either to high so it distorts or too low, I can't hear anything.

Is there a tool that will avoid that? I can see the problem already in snd: either the sound waves are off the left hand scale that goes from -1.0 to +1.0 or they are very small.

What I am asking for may not be possible: I just listen to the music...

Thanks.