Re: Issues upgrading cpu

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 01:36:45PM -0300, Bruno Buys wrote:
> On 9/6/06, Albert Dengg <a_d@gmx.at> wrote:

> >On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:51:48AM -0300, Bruno Buys wrote:
> >> I upgraded my cpu to a sempron with 64bit extension (Sempron 3400+ for
> >> 754, to be precise). After some googling and reading, I still can't
> >> figure those out:
> >>
> >> - Why do some instruction flags don't appear at /proc/cpuinfo? sse3 and
> >> x86-64, specifically. Do they have different names? (output follows).
> >> According to a tom's hw chart, there's no such thing as a sempron 3400
> >> for 754 platform without sse3 and x86-64.
> >>
> >> bruno@frank:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> >> processor       : 0
> >> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> >> cpu family      : 15
> >> model           : 44
> >> model name      : AMD Hammer Family processor - Model Unknown
> >> stepping        : 2
> >> cpu MHz         : 2043.189
> >> cache size      : 256 KB
> >> fdiv_bug        : no
> >> hlt_bug         : no
> >> f00f_bug        : no
> >> coma_bug        : no
> >> fpu             : yes
> >> fpu_exception   : yes
> >> cpuid level     : 1
> >> wp              : yes
> >> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> >> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm
> >> 3dnowext 3dnow pni
> >> bogomips        : 4038.65
> >>
> >> The machine now runs a 64bit sarge netinstaller (which it didn't
> >> before), so I know the 64bit instructions are there. Is the complete
> >> 64bit reinstall worth the hassle?
> >just guessing...
> >what kernel are you using?
>

> kernel is 2.6.8-2-k7 stock sarge.
>

> i havent tried though i doubt that a normal 686 or k7 kernel supports
> >either of these extentions and therefore will not test for them...
> >
> >what does it say when you start the amd64 installer and open a console?
>

> I didn?t try that. Will try as soon as I get back home.
> thanks for the tips, albert. I?ll try some livecd?s as well.
> One clue: mplayer?s ./configure told me arch is 'k8', instead of 'k7'.
> By the way, here?s the processor:
> http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=SDA3400AIO3BX

just fort your comparision, here is the ouput from my athlon64/3200+ (no
sse3):
ad@Lastesel:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 31
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
lm 3dnowext 3dnow lahf_lm
bogomips        : 2007.25
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64