Re: USB stick

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 08:51:03PM +0200, Gilles SICHE wrote:
>    sorry about the basic quality of the question : I have a sarge
>    distribution on a laptop and I would like to install a USB memory
>    stick. I'm afraid I don't know how to go about it!

It's highly likely, if you're running GNOME or KDE on the desktop, that
it will automatically find it, when you plug it in, and pop up a
Nautilus or Konqueror window displaying the files.

Otherwise, when you insert it, you'll see something in the syslog like
this:

usb-storage: device found at 6
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: SanDisk   Model: Cruzer Mini       Rev: 0.2
SCSI device sdb: 2001888 512-byte hdwr sectors (1025 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdb: 2001888 512-byte hdwr sectors (1025 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdb: sdb1

In this case, my disk appeared as /dev/sdb, with one partition
(/dev/sdb1). It can be mounted (as root) with:

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
Linoleum - Linux Programming Resources: