Re: (OT) Prejudice against sendmail?

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:13:08 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     Here's my entire configuration...
> smtp.dmiyu.org smtp --port=25
>
>     Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Problem is, the above setting doesn't cover my case, in which the
smarthost server requires username and password for SMTP SSL
authentication.

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 01:30:42 -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> If you needed to, setting up Postfix as an SMTP AUTH client using SASL can
> be done in just a few minutes.

I have no doubt of that, but it can only achieved by expert like
you, Roberto, not normal John user like me.

Last time, I followed the Debian Postfix/SASL/TLS HowTo, and carried
through all the following steps:

- configure postfix with SASL support

- configure postfix TLS settings

- creating my own local certificate CA

- generate the server certificate

- sign the server certificate

- copy Signed Certificates to the right place

- update the certificate expiration date

- then configure the postfix Certificates settings

but, all the effort end up with the following in the syslog:

23:07:25 cxmr postfix/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
23:07:25 cxmr postfix/master[31693]: reload configuration
23:07:39 cxmr postfix/smtpd[9304]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms
23:07:40 cxmr postfix/master[31693]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/smtpd pid 9304 exit status 1
23:07:40 cxmr postfix/master[31693]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/smtpd: bad command startup -- throttling

Is there any way for postfix to show me the entire SMTP communication
process, ie, the SMTP command issued by MTA and respond get from server,
right from the first helo command, through the relaying to ISP,
beyong starttls, and till the very end quit command?

This'd much more helpful than the syslog above.

thanks