Braindead package management -- was Re: Use of dpkg --set-selections is brain-dead?

T wrote:

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:57:10 -0400, Michael S. Peek wrote:

...  If I specify: lpr- and cupsys-bsd+ (which conflicts w/ lpr),
then apt-get chokes on cupsys-bsd, saying that it can't proceed because it
conflicts w/ lpr (duh, that's what the lpr- on the command line was for).

It should work. That's the trick I used to play. Now I'm thinking that
your whole package management system is in some kind of weird stage now...
Nope, still just as dumb:

[update-tiem]: Command: aptitude -y -o Aptitude::Log=log-20060901-120519.txt install kernel-image-2.6-686-smp+
...(snip)...
lpr_
cupsys-bsd+
tiem-cups-cfg+
...(snip)...
^MReading Package Lists... 0%^M^MReading Package Lists... 100%^M^MReading Package
Lists... Done^M
^MBuilding Dependency Tree... 0%^M^MBuilding Dependency Tree... 0%^M^MBuilding De pendency Tree... 50%^M^MBuilding Dependency Tree... 50%^M^MBuilding Dependency Tr
ee       ^M
^MReading extended state information... 0%^M^MReading extended state information.
.. 0%^M^MReading extended state information      ^M
^MInitializing package states... 0% ^M^MInitializing package states... Done^M ^MReading task descriptions... 0% ^M^MReading task descriptions... 2%^M^MReadi
ng task descriptions... Done^M
E: Unable to correct dependencies, some packages cannot be installed
E: Unable to resolve some dependencies!
Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
or been moved out of Incoming.

 tiem-cups-cfg: PreDepends: cupsys-bsd but it is not installable
ERROR: update-tiem returned non-zero exit code

Anyone have any ideas why this doesn't work? Maybe I'll try reinstalling from scratch, just in case my pacakge db has gone all funky.