Re: AMD 64 Dual Core questions

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 23:43 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Yesterday's paper had a Fry's add for an ECS C51GM-M MB and An Athlon
> 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core CPU for $199.98.
>
> First, does anyone know anything about this board?  Will it run under
> linux?
Not this particular one, but I've seen linux boxes on a fair number of
their recent boards.

> Next, assuming there are no compatability problems with th MB or CPU,
> can I just replace the MB, add appropriate memory, connect my old HD
> with Sarge and Etch as mentioned above, and expect the system to boot?
Yes.  As long as your device names don't change.  If your disc is SATA,
some boards can make it show as an IDE drive, so you'll get hda instead
of sda.  But that's minor.

> If the above does work and I decide to use 32 bit mode for now (which
> I do intend to do), is there anything other than installing an SMP
> kernel that I should do to get my box back into decent running order?
Probably change the network drivers and whatever else is different on
the new board.

Hans