Re: stupid dependency on aptitude

On 25 Aug 2006, T wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:45:49 -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:
>

> I totally agree. apt-get is sufficient.
>
> If you worry about the unneeded packages, then use deborphan. I use it
> every time I install or un-install packages. no hassle at all.
>
> I never use aptitude, never need to and never want to. However, for all
> the apt-get lovers, we are fighting a loosing battle here. Some stupid
> packges (eg. tasksel) insist the dependency on aptitude. aptitude has to
> be in your system. I wish that could be changed, so I can have a clean
> Debian system.

I gave up on aptitude a long time ago. Wajig is the best solution I've
found. From the man page:

       wajig packages into one tool many commands useful for managing a
       Debian system. Instead of having to remember whether to use dpkg
       or apt-get or apt-cache, etc, wajig does the selec- tion of the
       appropriate tool for you.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian