Re: terminal true type fonts

cga2000:

> http://www.geocities.com/cga9999/pic00/
>
> One that uses verdana for everything is in the moz.png file.

That looks quite ok, but for me it's too small to be read easily. And if
fonts are larger, I definitely prefer AA.

> What I like about verdana 8pt is that it ends up looking a lot like my
> preferred fixed-width font (terminus).
>
> see im00.png

I know this font, I like it as well (although I preferred Neep when I
used bitmap fonts in my terminals). BTW, there is a console-terminus
package, which enables Terminus font on framebuffer consoles.

> Another thing that I like is its "clean" look.  On my display at least,
> I never get this impression of "dribbling" that I have seen all too
> often with the Vera fonts.  A little as if you had a hair or some fluff
> stuck in the nib of your fountain pen.  The other thing that irritates
> me with the Vera fonts -- especially with smaller sizes, is the fact
> that in some renderings some glyphs look like they were drawn with
> varying pressure applied.  Some lines appear to be darker than others.
-- snip
> Here's an example:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/include/img/openoffice.png
>
> .. that may clarify the above.

IMO the menus are acceptable, but the document shown is ugly.  It may
have to do with everything except the headlines being italics.

On a sidenote, I have never gotten OOo to display usable fonts at all.
Neither in the user interface, nor in the documents. Compare yourself:
http://wasteland.homelinux.net/~jrschulz/gfx/fonts/oo.png
http://wasteland.homelinux.net/~jrschulz/gfx/fonts/gtk.png

I am not sure whether the ubuntu shot you have shown is more like oo.png
or more like gtk.png.

> Your rendering of the Vera fonts, BTW looks rather different from what
> you usually see when you first fire up gnome etc. just after installing
> (of on live CD's such as ubuntu's..) .. so I assume you must have done
> quite a bit of tweaking.

Yep. But it was only adjusting DPI settings in xorg.conf via DisplaySize
and running 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config' a few times until I
found settings I like. And Gtk applications read their font settings
from a custom ~/.gtkrc-2.0, not via the myriads of settings daemons out
there.

> I wish there was a good font book available.  I've done quite a bit of
> reading on fonts (and tweaking) but everything I have run into does not
> really do much to clarify the issues.
>
> Not sure there are many people who really understand them either. I
> have read a few docs and often got the feeling that their authors were
> just repeating stuff they had read elsewhere and that they didn't know
> what they were talking about.

[x] add me. :)

> Well .. I'm not sure where anyone ever got the idea that fonts should
> look blurred.  I mean if I buy a book from amazon and I get a "blurred"
> copy.. I send it back right away.  For stuff that you glance at it may
> be ok, but where reading is concerned .. I wouldn't do it. Your eyes
> would desperately (and automatically) try to focus thus causing
> eyestrain etc.

Sure, but in my opinion fonts on my system don't look blurred. Ok, I
admit it. They are blurred, but very, very little. Only text in italics
doesn't look really good, but you don't want to read much of that anyway
(thanks slashdot for not using italics anymore!) and IIRC this doesn't
look good with non-AA fonts either.

And if your printouts looked as blocky as the fonts in your moz.png, I
guess you would return it, too. Comparing printed documents with screen
fonts gets you nowhere, IMHO. You wouldn't to read cyan text on black
paper either. :)

> You could take a look at the vim*.png files in the above directory.
> I've found this terminus font a pleasure to work with.

Bitmap fonts... :)
http://wasteland.homelinux.net/~jrschulz/gfx/fonts/vim-veramono.png

(This is gvim, but my terminals look almost the same)

> > Does this also apply to
> > <http://debris/~jrschulz/gfx/fonts/bitstream-linux.png>?
>
> Sorry but I could not access this link for some reason.

"Some reason" might be that I forgot to replace my internal hostname
with its world-resolvable name. %-) Try this:
http://wasteland.homelinux.net/~jrschulz/gfx/fonts/bitstream-linux.png

J.
--
Ultimately, the Millenium Dome is a spectacular monument of the
doublethink of our times.