How to Totally!! nuke X11?

I got bit the other day by unstable's xserver-xorg bug, and now I can't seem to recover from it. I've now got things so completely horked that I think it's best just to purge all of X11 from this box and do a clean install of X (not of Debian itself, just of the X Window System bits).

Problem is, nothing I do will completely purge it. aptitude (command-line and menu) fight me. I keep telling it to purge all of the X11 system and it keeps saying that'll break things so let's update things instead. NO!!! I want to PURGE the thing!!!

Arg! This is like dealing with Microsoft!! (apologies to you Debian maintainers; y'all usually do such a great job, but this is really, really frustrating)

apt-get and dselect have been similarly useless for this task.

Even when I do get all the dependencies and such to remove as much as I can, nothing seems to get rid of the /etc/X11 directory. So I renamed it, and reinstalled x-window-system, thinking that'd restore things to a working set.

Nope. Apparently, the package x-window-system does not pull in everything, for whereas it created a new /etc/X11 directory, it was missing such things as Xwrapper.config.

Whew! Sorry for yelling and complaing. Needed to blow a bit of steam.

Okay, my question. How do I _completely_ purge X11 so that I can do a completely clean reinstall (that generates xorg.conf, etc)?

Thanks!

--
Kent