Pumping Gas in Oregon (WAS: Re: Osama Bin Laden Take Over List!)

Paul Johnson wrote:

The upswing day-to-day upswing is that we usually pay less for gas than

neighboring states: Insurance for self service is more expensive than hiring someone to sit in the kiosk and wrangle pumps, and the gas line moves faster since you're not having to wait behind grandma to get the job done. Another side effect of having minimum-service islands everywhere is they tend to be one-way, so if you're lucky enough to have a right-hand gas tank, the line is far shorter, if there is one.
Actually, I have found that the lines are longer, here in Oregon, than when I lived elsewhere. I do not have a right hand gas tank, so I get to sit in a long line and look at the other, empty lane, being unused. For those of us with left hand gas tanks (the majority), after I get to move up to a pump I have to wait for the attendant to get to me to pump my gas, instead of just getting out and pumping my own. Then, after the tank is full, I have to wait for them to get back to me, just to take the nozzle out and hand me my receipt. This usually adds at least a minute, if not more, to my time at the pump, not including any additional time waiting in line to get to a pump. If we eliminated that extra time at the pump it would virtually eliminate any waiting in line, as well.

Having pumped my own gas for 32 years and in many states prior to moving to Oregon, I can say that I have probably seen as many gas spills from gas station attendants as from self pumping customers. The total number of spills, from either, sources, is rather low.

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail