Re: possible server compromitation

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 06:44:00PM +0200, David Siroky
wrote:
> Attackers deleted all access.log and error.log files
> (which I had among the web files)

I assume by "among the web files" you mean you'd adjusted
permissions on the logging directory so the apache user
could write to them: by default, with apache2/debian, the
www-data user cannot write to /var/log/apache2, and tampered
logs would indicate a root-level exploit.

> I know that there is a security issue in mod_rewrite but I
> don't use it.  Maybe PHP is unsafe. It is a mystery to me.

If you are correct and no root-level permissions were
obtained, it is quite likely to be a badly written web
application, rather than a vulnerability in apache2 or php
itself.

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/