Re: wxWidgets versus gtkmm

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:27:38 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:

> Roberto C. Sanchez writes:
> > First, back in the early days, there were serious licensing issues (not
> > so serious anymore, but they still exist) with Qt.
>
> I know of no licensing "issues" with Qt.  It is distributed under the GPL.

That is exactly the licensing issue since wxwidgets is lgpl which allows you to
use (and statically link it) it freely also for commercial closed source apps.
gpl allows you to sell your app but you have to distribute the source and you
can't stop anyone from distributing again for no money, or for money but
without giving you any of it.

qt just isn't an option for small scale closed source projects (for whatever
reason) where buying the commercial license is out of the question.