Re: wxWidgets versus gtkmm

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 07:59:08PM +0100, Wulfy wrote:
> Micha Feigin wrote:
> >Also, AFAIK qt draws all it's own widgets (buttons, lists, etc.) itself
> >while
> >wxwidgets uses local ones (which is gtk under linux, native everywhere
> >else).
> Is gtk "native" to all Linux but KDE?  Or is it just "native" to GNOME?

I believe that they chose GTK as their *nix target for a number of
reasons.  First, back in the early days, there were serious licensing
issues (not so serious anymore, but they still exist) with Qt.  The
persmissive licensing of wxWidgets (essentially the LGPL with permission
to static link) would not have been at all compatible with the licensing
arrangement of Qt, especially on Windows.

Besides, if you really want, you can make your Qt and GTK apps look very
close to each other.  I personally use WindowMaker and I have tweaked my
GTK and Qt settings to match the default GNUstep look and many times I
can't tell whether the app is Qt or GTK.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez