Re: wxWidgets versus gtkmm

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 05:27:38PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez writes:
> > First, back in the early days, there were serious licensing issues (not
> > so serious anymore, but they still exist) with Qt.
>
> I know of no licensing "issues" with Qt.  It is distributed under the GPL.

It is now.  Previously, Qt was distributed under the QPL and then for a
short time dual licensed under QPL/GPL before they finally got with the
program and went straight GPL.  The problem for the QPL was that you
could only use it freely when it was over a "free" operating system.
That meant that if you wanted to distribute (even for free) a program
for Mac OSX, Windows or any proprietary *nix variant, you would be
required to purchase a commercial license.  This was one of the
motivators behind the start of the GNOME project (since the decision was
made to base KDE on Qt even with the controversy over the license).

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez