Re: Question about different kernel versions included on Etch

[ Hi.  This is not relevant to either debian-testing or debian-devel, so
I have redirected to debian-user].

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 10:38:10PM +0200, carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I need to deploy several xen servers under Debia nEtch next week, and
> I have one doubt. Which is the difference between these kernels:
> linux-image-2.6.16-2-xen-686 and linux-image-2.6.16-2-xen-vserver-686?
> What does it means -vserver suffix?? Can I install third party kernel
> modules to these kernel like as I can do with "normal" kernels??

I have two production servers deployed with Xen (each currently running
three virtual servers).  I have used the linux-image-2.6.16-2-xen-686
for both the host and the guest domains.  I find it is simpler than
messing with more than version.  I believe that the package with the
-vserver suffix is only suitable for use in guest domains.

As long as you can get the corresponding linux-source or linux-headers
package, then you should be able to install third-party modules as with
any other kernel.

Regards,

-Roberto

--