X -configure failed

When I did X -configure as root the X command appeared to terminate normally but still left me with an empty /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. wc just returns 0's on that file when asked about it. So what package am I maybe missing that would allow this to happen? Correction, I probably had some kind of error generated because /var/log/xorg.0.log was mentioned. Is that logging facility advanced enough to tell me which package I'm missing?