Re: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 13:04:45 -0500, Seth Goodman wrote:
> On Monday, August 14, 2006 6:20 AM -0500, George Borisov wrote:
>
> > Anthony M Simonelli wrote:
> > >
> > > I just get a little upset when people want to mold Debian into
> > > something like a Windows clone.  If you want that, try a
> > > Debian-derivative such as Linspire or Xandros.
> >
> > Spot on, dude.
>
> Does that represent the Debian position?  I'd very much like to know.
> If so, I'll continue to use it in server applications and stop
> recommending it to friends who are not computer professionals.  That
> would certainly make my life easier and Microsoft more profitable.

The official Debian position can be found here:
http://www.debian.org/social_contract

Achieving world domination by providing a drop-in replacement for
Windows is not on the agenda. Don't get me wrong, you raise many good
points, but I don't understand why the task to provide an operating
system for Aunt Tilly should be assigned to Debian. There are already a
number of Debian-derived distros which do quite a reasonable job at
that. The ideal operating system should of course be "easy", "powerful"
and "secure", but in real life you have to focus on two of these three
properties and make sacrifices with respect to the third. I much prefer
if Debian continues to emphasize being powerful and secure.

--
Regards,
          Florian