Re: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards

Wow, I fully agree what cr stated there.  I have people calling upon me all the time to solve their Windows problems and difficulties.  For one, if GNU/Linux was to be sold in stores on pre-installed system, such as in Future Shop and Circut City, GNU/Linux would gain more popularity.  Since GNU/Linux is somewhat easier to maintain than a Windows system.  GNU/Linux is virtual free of Viruses and Spyware because of it's advance file/user permissions.  Users who use GNU/Linux would never have to worry as much about scanning their computer for viruses, and spending hard earned cash on Virus Scanning Software licenses.

GNU/Linux is also a special purpose Operating System as well.  GNU/Linux doesn't have to used for Desktop and/or Server applications.  GNU/Linux is seen everywhere from embedded systems to PDAs to advanced tablet PCs.  Even though most users don't really know that GNU/Linux exists all around.  Possibily even using it everyday without evening knowing so, that's something positive to think about.  At the moment, the best we can think is positive about the currently developments of GNU/Linux and Open Source in general.  Many company's have used the GPL or LGPL licenses for some of the software which they created.  At this point, GNU/Linux is just beginning to gain wide acceptence.  Hardware manufactures are starting to notice GNU/Linux and printing it on their product boxes, that it is Linux compatible.

Another great note to also think about, GNU/Linux has been maturing quite fast lately in many different areas.  It's rate of maturing is accelerating.  Has anyone heard about Hollywood and Linux?  At quite a few Hollywood studios, all their systems dual-boot from Linux and Windows.  For example, the recent comedy released 'Super Ex-girlfriend' was created using the power of both worlds.  As I said before, even though -most- users don't know it, their either watching work which has been crafted using GNU/Linux technology, or perhaps use it in their everyday life without evening knowing it even exists.

My point is, do users really need to know that GNU/Linux exists?  Is it not enough that most people possibly use and/or watch technologies crafted with the powerful GNU/Linux operating system?

I am not a huge fan of Bill Gates nor Microsoft, but I do believe one day they will finally get themselves into something they cannot get out of.  It's actually quite interesting to see how many lawsuits that company has been through and is still quite respected and followed as a software leader.  I am quite surprised that people still trust them.  This trust/bond which Microsoft has with it's customers is getting thin, some of customers are already making the switch to either Sun's Solaris, Novell SuSE, and other non-Microsoft Operating Systems. Giving enough time, and patience, Microsofts customers will soon see them for who they really are.