Re: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 02:07:43AM -0500, Seth Goodman wrote:

> > Actually, Debian is one of the fastest growing distribution
> > according to Netcraft:
> >

> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/12/05/strong_growth_for_debian.ht
> ml
> >
> > and Linux in general is making it's mark with companies such as HP,
> > IBM, and Google and around the world.
>
> The first line of that article is:
>
> "Debian is currently the fastest growing Linux distribution for web
> servers, with more than 1.2 million active sites in December."
>
> This reinforces my point, which is that Debian, in its present form,
> will find use primarily among  technically adept users, which are a
> minority in the computer market.  The same goes for its adoption at
> large IT companies.  The fact that Debian is taking web server market
> share from Red Hat does not indicate that it is making any inroads into
> becoming a usable desktop for average users.

well, were is the problem with that?
and also debian is much easier to install now with d-i then it used to
be...
i actually like debian for asking me what really to install...i have a
problem with distros like suse where it is hard to set the computer up
_without_ X and so on and there are areaes where i just don't need it.

> > I don't believe the Debian project is not meant to be a Windows
> > replacement. I don't even think it exists to compete with MS
> > Windows, but to provide a free(dom) operating system for everyone.
>
> It may be free for everyone, but they can't use it.  You can, I can, but
> the average Windows user can't.  That's like saying that anyone is free
> to buy a Mercedes, all you need is the money.
>

> > > Here are a couple of cases for things that casual users can
> > > manage in Windows PC's but would have great difficulty in Debian.
> > > The following is not meant to say that Windows is good.  It's
> > > not:  it's crap.  But they did do some things right, and we ought
> > > to take notice.
> >
> > You can get books that help.  In fact, the Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
> > Bible (ISBN 0-7645-7644-5) is a great book for those just getting
> > started with Debian and Linux and answers the first two common
> > tasks they'd need to know as well as installation help and getting
> > a desktop up and running.  They also discuss Internet and Intranet
> > services such as web servers, printing, file servers, FTP, etc, and
> > it's only $40.00 (hey, you're not paying for the operating system!)
>
> I don't need books like that because I can read the documentation.  The
> average Windows user is not going to read it.  They don't need to read
> books to fire up their Windows boxen, and they don't expect to read
> books to move to Linux.  If it were up to snuff, they wouldn't need to.
> You're preaching to the choir by telling me that a technically adept
> person can make Debian do most common tasks without inordinate
> difficulty.  The average computer user, OTOH, is a completely different
> story.
well, the average windows install done by an average user does not
really work as it should, give all the security problems and worm
distribution, which is at least partly due to the fact that with
windows, everybody thinks they can do it themselves and know what they
are doing.

my point is, there are different distros with different goals
and also i have 2 "normal users" here using debian without any problems
(both don't know pcs worth a damn and would also have problems with
windows)...i do the system administration and for them it just works
(and for me it is less work them administrating a xp home install which
does not have fs permissions where i have to reconstruct all sort of
system files they alter/delete be accident... :-) )

yours
Albert