Re: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards

Right on.

> > > That's a reasonable goal, even a good goal, if you are willing to
> > > remain a small, exclusive club.

Actually, Debian is one of the fastest growing distribution according to
Netcraft:

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/12/05/strong_growth_for_debian.html

and Linux in general is making it's mark with companies such as HP, IBM, and
Google and around the world.

> > > I'm arguing to
> consider the point of view of would-be Windows defectors.

I don't believe the Debian project is not meant to be a Windows replacement.
I don't even think it exists to compete with MS Windows, but to provide a
free(dom) operating system for everyone.

> Here are a couple of cases for things that casual users can manage in
> Windows PC's but would have great difficulty in Debian.  The following
> is not meant to say that Windows is good.  It's not:  it's crap.  But
> they did do some things right, and we ought to take notice.

You can get books that help.  In fact, the Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible (ISBN
0-7645-7644-5) is a great book for those just getting started with Debian and
Linux and answers the first two common tasks they'd need to know as well as
installation help and getting a desktop up and running.  They also discuss
Internet and Intranet services such as web servers, printing, file servers,
FTP, etc, and it's only $40.00 (hey, you're not paying for the operating
system!)

I just get a little upset when people want to mold Debian into something like
a Windows clone.  If you want that, try a Debian-derivative such as Linspire
or Xandros.  I also don't like it when people completely ignore the
accomplishments of Microsoft with Windows and rip them to shreds as if their
operating system is non-functional without considering that MS made the PC
and an office suite so prevalent.  I don't agree with their business tactics,
licensing nightmares or their monopoly in the desktop world though.