Re: Debian for business?

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 04:50:51PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > Informix is pretty inexpensive, comparatively to Oracle, and kicks ass
> > all over Postgres *and* MySQL.  Just as ONE example.
>
> PostgreSQL *must* be better than Informix.  It's OSS, after all. :)

It is for me.  I prize openness over pretty much everything else (as
long as the tool does the job in the first place).

Informix        PostgreSQL     MySQL
--------        ----------     -----
closed          open           open
does job        does job       questionable ability to do job

Now, all things being equal, the choice would be between Informix and
PostgreSQL as they are both able to do the job and have proven it.  Of
course, prizing openness, PostgreSQL wins out.  Of course, since MySQL
has not yet proven its ability to do the job (remember version 5.0 has
only been delared production stable since October 2005), it is not even
a player.

Regards,

-Roberto

--