Re: Debian for business?

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 08:09:23PM +0200, Mirko Scurk wrote:
> 1. Is server hw enough for Linux with Samba as PDC, other sw and 15 heavy
> users?
Yes

> 2. How important is lack of linux printer drivers if nobody will ever
> print from linux - only win clients?
You'll want to find a way to print from linux[1].  It's much easier to
debug.

> 3. I spotted on web that there might be some problems with ms access file
> (mdb) locking on samba - how serious is it?
> 4. What gw do you suggest? - (doc sharing and versioning is crucial!)
I messed with egroupware[2] a while back.  It looks like it's improving.
SugarCRM[4] might satisfy this requirement and #7 also.

> 5. What backup approach do you suggest, that user with no knowledge of
> linux can carry on? Maybe some web app?
I've used backuppc[3] before with success.

> 6. Can Samba offer same functionality as single W2K domain server? Is it
> transparent for users - what difference will they see?
You need to use openldap and samba together

> 7. Some open source CRM?
SugarCRM[4].

> 8. Is Ruby On Rails capable and mature enough for building simple ERP with
> interaction with MDB? If not, maybe some other (not neccessary) web dev
> tool?
Move data from MDB to mysql.  Then write an ERP using method you choose.

1. http://linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
2. apt-cache show egroupware  http://www.egroupware.org/
3. apt-cache show backuppc http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
4. http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/